Guidelines: How to Enjoy your Gallery Visit
We are delighted that you will be visiting the Vancouver Art Gallery.
Please review the following guidelines before your visit:
Preparing for your Gallery visit
- It is essential to prepare your class for their visit using the Teacher's Study Guide. Please note that the study guide for each exhibition is available typically on the same date as the Teacher’s Orientation for the school program.
- Please bring name tags with each student’s name clearly identified for guided tours only.
- If you would like to preview the exhibition before your class visit, and you are unable to attend the Teacher Orientation, we can leave a one-time use Admissions Pass for you at the Admissions Desk. Please email the Group Bookings Coordinator with at least two weeks’ notice for your pass email@example.com.
- Please do not touch the art works. Please stay at least 30 cm away from the walls.
Running is not permitted.
Please use indoor voices in the Gallery and Lobby.
Students are required to stay together at all times.
- We require 1 adult per 8 students. The Gallery has this policy in place for the safety of the students in case of emergency.
- A maximum of 8 adult chaperones including the teacher will be admitted free of charge.
- Please stay with your group at all times.
- Cell phones are not permitted on the tours. The teacher may use their cell phone to take photos of the students at work in the Gallery.
- Please be a silent and present member of the group. As a good role model, show interest but please don’t talk among yourselves.
- Questions posed during the tour are intended for the students, not the adults. If you have questions about the
- Unfortunately we cannot accommodate toddlers.
- For chaperone drivers, there is underground parking nearby in the Robson Square Provincial parking lot at Howe and Nelson St. Please note that the underground parking cannot accommodate busses. To view more parking options we recommend looking here »
- For buses, there is a passenger drop off zone located at the Hornby entrance (near the red awning). Your bus can use this lane for student drop off and pick up. Please note that there is a bike lane in between the passenger drop off zone and the Gallery’s sidewalk. This lane can be very dangerous with cyclists not paying attention. Please make sure
- From the Skytrain, both Granville and Burrard stations are in close proximity or from the Canada Line use the Vancouver City Centre station.
Arrival at the Gallery
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes before your guided tour. Check in at the Admissions desk located in the lobby.
- This is the time for students to use the washrooms located in the lobby area.
- If you have booked a self-guided visit, please arrive at your confirmed arrival time on your booking confirmation,
- We regret that bagged lunches cannot be eaten inside the Gallery exhibitions, lobby area or in the Gallery Café. There is covered seating outside the Robson Court area.
lle and Burrard stations are in close proximity or from the Canada Line use the Vancouver City Centre station.
Photography at the Gallery
- We do not permit students or chaperones to use their phones during the program.
- Teachers are permitted to take photos of the students during their visit.
Cancelations or No Shows
- We require two weeks advance notice for cancellations, otherwise the full amount will be charged.